Re: A proposal for two additional properties for LOCN

On 2014-09-12 1:14, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:
> Ah yes - but there is a long-standing tension in geospatial as to whether time is just another dimension, or something different. Both views are defensible - it mostly depends on use-case.
It is interesting to note that the fairly new Temporal Domain Working
Group (DWG) has been formed in the OGC:
http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/temporaldwg. If anything,
it shows that time is important in the geospatial world.

I think a related problem here is the closed world assumption in the
OGC: all real world phenomena need to be expressed in terms of
geographical models (ISO191**, GML,..). That is why the corpus of things
modelled by the OGC keeps growing and growing, and why it involves many
things that are not directly related to geography. In a model that
assumes an open world (like Linked Data) it is easier to use concepts
external to the domain.

Once the new W3C-OGC working group gets under way, hopefully theories
and practices about time in geoinformatics will find some more focus.

> Then there is the irony that while most are perfectly willing to accept a microformat for time (ISO 8601 and derivatives) they baulk at similar for space (e.g. WKT). Major problem in space is that you need the CRS as well as the coordinates, which brings us back to ... is time another coordinate?
Well, I think WKT is great!  But yes, one does need a CRS to go along
with it. It is probably easier to accept a global reference system for
time because time is governed by cosmological processes. Location on
Earth is influenced by plate tectonics, which robs us of the option of
using one global reference system.

Regards,
Frans

> Simon