Re: space and time

My comments are inline..

Regards,
Frans

On 2014-05-24 10:39, Raphaël Troncy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for starting up this thread Frans. I don't have a strong
> opinion on this issue, and, like you, I tend to think that space and
> orthogonal dimensions. However, there are a number of use cases where
> those dimensions are tied which trigger the question where we should
> not have a few handy predicates to handle those cases, among others :
>   - the temporal validity of the spatial extent of a geographic
> feature: this is indeed a generic use case that can be applied to any
> resource (a solution is for example Memento)
>   - the temporal evolution of the spatial extent of a geographic
> feature: the typical case is to represent the evolution of boundaries
> of a administrative unit
>   - etc.
Yes, some handy predicates are needed. But I tend to think that those
need to come from other vocabularies created by other working groups. I
think what is needed is a clear separation of concerns (which is
actually a design principle in computer science, so the wikipedia tells
me <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns>). Otherwise the
working groups on geography, model trains and beer will eventually each
come up with models that can describe the entire world (but from
different perspectives).

> I observe that:
>   - since 1 month, there is a HUGE thread in the geojson community in
> order to be able to represent time together with space. Concrete
> proposals have been made, see
> https://github.com/geojson/geojson-ld/issues/
An interesting observation. I tried to read this discussion
<https://github.com/geojson/geojson-ld/issues/9> and - not being that
familiar with GeoJSON - wondered why the community apparently has not
chosen to  hand over the problem of specification of time to TimeJSON.
Is it because TimeJSON does not exist?

>   - OWL Time is a draft, unfinished, and criticized for a number of
> use cases. There has been an attempts 18 months ago from Ivan Herman
> and others to clean it up and publish it as a more stable /ns W3C
> vocab. But nothing really happened, everyone is busy.
That is a real pity. Perhaps time is such a common commodity that it is
hard to find experts on the matter? Is it possible to study chronology
at a university, for example? Still, I don't think that lack of progress
in the time department of the data web is a valid reason for other
departments to take up the task of modelling time.

>   - as Andrea mentioned, this issue was of the key topics discussed at
> LGD'14.
> Best regards.
>
>   Raphaël

Frans Knibbe