From: Karl Grossner [mailto:karlg@stanford.edu]
Sent: Monday, 26 May 2014 2:29 AM
To: Raphaël Troncy
Cc: janowicz@ucsb.edu; public-locadd@w3.org; Pascal Hitzler; Ben Adams
Subject: Re: space and time

Krzysztof, Raphaël -

Academic publication time-frames drive me crazy. I have placed an excerpt from our chapter-in-review on my web site so list members who have an interest can read it. The chapter is about Linked Data for historical gazetteers and the pattern discussion comes in Section 3. As Krzysztof says, it is an informal introduction.

  http://kgeographer.com/assets/GrossnerJanowiczKessler_excerpt.pdf

This discussion is of great interest. Yes, there is now an effort at a new GeoJSON-LD standard, and I have co-instigated getting time into it (not into core GeoJSON; that idea has been rejected by its keepers).

I should also note my recent work with Elijah Meeks on Topotime (http://dh.stanford.edu/topotime)

People's views about the urgency of somehow joining spatial and temporal seem to vary depending on the use cases they deal with the most. I work in historical applications and see the joining as essential.

Regarding the observation that any data _could_ have a temporal dimension so why favor spatial, I would say this: it's not about adding temporality to widget data, it's about the opportunity to include temporal with spatial if you're representing widget locations.

The location of a thing or event/period is in fact spatial and temporal whether or not we care about both aspects in a given situation. A general data model should account for the essential characteristics of what it models! In the case of GeoJSON-LD, a Feature will have an optional "when" object at the same level as the "geometry" object. Existing software that parses GeoJSON will ignore the "when" (as well as the @context), but applications can be written to process it.

I'm not thrilled with how GeoJSON-LD is shaping up but do consider it making time a co-equal aspect with space in answers to "where?" a significant step forward.

cheers, Karl

Karl Grossner, PhD
Digital Humanities Research Developer
Stanford University Libraries