Re: Property "geographic identifier" in LOCN

On 1/10/2014 8:43 AM, Raphaël Troncy wrote:
> Hello,

>> Indeed, I strongly second Jano's statement here. Agreement on one
>> (common) world view will never be reached - and is not really
>> desirable.
>
> Nobody has argued for this. Let's be specific and not making general
> statements. We are not talking about a company making a vocabulary but
> about a community group within W3C trying to get consensus on a
> vocabulary, and yes, the vocabularies hosted on http://www.w3.org/ns/
> are permanent[#].
>
> Furthermore, we are talking about the particular case where a
> class/property has been defined in a vocabulary A and that another
> vocabulary B is about to define a class/property with the *same*
> meaning, minor perhaps some usage note.

If you're using the exactly same meaning (wrt. formal semantics), and
can guarantee that this is stable over time (the vocabulary you use may
get reworked), *and* you can guarantee that your twist on the meaning
(which you introduce through your reuse) will not cause any
inconsistencies if used jointly with all other usages elsewhere (which
you can't control), then there is indeed no problem with reuse.

However I would claim that you can essentially never guarantee this. And
even if you can, guaranteeing it is probably much more work than it's
worth :)

Pascal.

--
Prof. Dr. Pascal Hitzler
Dept. of Computer Science, Wright State University, Dayton, OH