 From: John Goodwin <John.Goodwin@ordnancesurvey.co.uk>
To: Frans Knibbe | Geodan <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>; "public-locadd@w3.org" <public-locadd@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:23 AM
Subject: RE: GML or WKT in GeoSPARQL

Hi Frans,

The Ordnance Survey linked data (which doesn’t currently use GeoSPARQL, but uses a very similar ontology made in house – we will migrate over time) opted for GML. Our decision was largely because it is the ‘format of choice’ for many of our main products and also favoured by INSPIRE.

Interesting I had an issue with ogr2ogr when converting a shape file to GML that I couldn’t control the decimal places and there were all sort of strange round errors occurring (in EPSG:27700).

With POSTGIS I had trouble loading a shape file that contained mixed geometry types. Either post gis loaded everything as multisurface or threw an error if I tried to load the simple geometries. I opted for FME follow by some XSL in the end.

Another option – and I *think* it’s allowed by GeoSPARQL is GeoJSON.

John

Dr John Goodwin
Principal Scientist
Research, Ordnance Survey
Adanac Drive, SOUTHAMPTON, United Kingdom, SO16 0AS
Phone: +44 (0) 23 8005 5761
www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk | john.goodwin@ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email.