Re: "PICS 1.x Changes to support digital libraries (& signatures)"

On Sep 1, 2011, at 12:13 AM, eric miller wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2011, at 7:04 PM, stuart.weibel@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I remember this quite differently.
>>
>> PICS was an early attempt at creating a technology that would enable the selection, rather than a mass exclusion of content, and thereby provide a means of averting government intervention. Or do we believe that having the means to keep pornography out of middle schools is in all cases a bad thing?
>>
>> As it happens, PICS was the first step into web technology that we now think of as semantic web technology. RDF emerged directly from that first admittedly short sighted, attempt at labelling the nature of content. It may have been short sighted, but it was in no sense an attempt to subvert the mission or perogatives of libraries. There was then a growing alarmism about managing content online (that of course, persists today), and PICS provided a measure of cover for the community to say... yeah, we know there is a problem and we're working on it. It bought time.
>>
>> one person's perspective
>
> make that two.

more background / context for Danbri's historical dive with respect to issues facing libraries at the time...

ALA Preconference Forum: Content Selection, PICS, and the Internet
Eric Miller emiller at oclc.org
Tue May 27 14:06:27 EDT 1997
- http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/web4lib/1997-May/018773.html

and if anyone has a VHS player handy and *really* interested in this topic in turns out this panel was taped ...

Content selection, PICS and the Internet : a discussion of technologies, problems and solutions : ALA annual preconference forum, Friday, June 27, 1997
Author: Stuart L Weibel; James Miller; Eric Miller; Paul Resnick; Judith F Krug; All authors Publisher: Dublin, Ohio : OCLC, [1997] Edition/Format:   VHS video : VHS tape  Visual material : English
- http://www.worldcat.org/title/content-selection-pics-and-the-internet-a-discussion-of-technologies-problems-and-solutions-ala-annual-preconference-forum-friday-june-27-1997/oclc/037609333

as i recall, the ruling on the Communications Decency Act came though *while* this panel was underway which added to an extra bit of excitement.

--
Eric Miller
President, Zepheira "The Art of Data"