Re: Ideas for Recommendations for Report

Richard--

Thanks so much for putting your thoughts out there and posting them to
this list. For starters, this is the first I saw the guidelines from the
CIDOC community on linked data, and seeing the document made my week.

I couldn't agree more about broadening this discussion beyond just the
library corner of the cultural heritage world, and also looking at this
from the context of end-users and readers. I also think Ed's followup
comment that "the walls between the descriptive practices of archives,
museums and libraries make less and less sense as web technology has
been adopted" deserves to go directly into the report.

I think the benefits of broadening the conversation would result in
enrichment of the library data as well.

Just by way of example, I've been thinking about this over the past few
weeks while browsing the Social Networks and Archival Context Project
(http://socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu/) and the EAC-CPF data they're
deriving from EAD-encoded finding aids from California, the PacNW,
Virginia, LC and elsewhere. As I look at this stuff, I think about how
useful it would be to have the linkages between historic entities appear
in interfaces while searching for "books" in a library "catalog", and
given that the SNAC folks are linking to VIAF, it shouldn't be all that
hard to make that happen...

Ed, Ross - would you mind if I hopped onto your call on Monday morning?
I think I'd get a lot out of it, and who knows--maybe I'd even have
something useful to contribute.

Great weekend, all!

-Corey

--