Re: licensing of library data - article in LIBER quarterly

I don't claim any legal expertise but here is my take on the rights conveyed
in the EU directive mentioned by Simon - this is more to generate discussion
than an attempt to be definitive - so please challenge anything that doesn't
look right!

*COPYRIGHT*

Under Directive 96/9/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11
March 1996, databases can be protected by copyright in EU member states.
This right applies to databases which:

"by reason of the selection or arrangement of their contents, constitute the
author's own intellectual creation" (Article 3 of
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31996L0009:EN:HTML
)

While there are no hard and fast tests for 'originality', a clear example of
a database not considered worthy of Copyright protection is Television
Listings (see
http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/docs/databases/evaluation_report_en.pdf
-
page 8, which in turn references "Judgment of 6 April 1995, Radio Telefis
Eireann (RTE) and Independent Television Publications Ltd (ITP) v.
Commission of the European Communities, Joined cases C-241/91 P and C-242/91
P)".

The current interpretation in Wikipedia suggests further than no database
which aims to be 'complete' ("that is where the entries are selected by
objective criteria") would qualify as "the author's own intellectual
creation" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_Directive).

While I'm not sure the statement from Wikipedia is accurate it would seem
unlikely that most databases of bibliographic data would be seen as
'original' in the sense of the directive.

*SUI GENERIS DATABASE RIGHT*

As well as covering copyright in databases, Directive 96/9/EC also
establishes a 'sui generis database right'. This provides a right:

"for the maker of a database which shows that there has been qualitatively
and/or quantitatively a substantial investment in either the obtaining,
verification or presentation of the contents to prevent extraction and/or
re-utilization of the whole or of a substantial part, evaluated
qualitatively and/or quantitatively, of the contents of that database." (
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31996L0009:EN:HTML
)

Colloquially this is a 'sweat of the brow' right - essentially this is
saying if creating the database had a cost (i.e. some signficant effort was
involved), the database is automatically protected by the database right
which prevents another party copying all, or a substantial part of the
database. The Television Listing example above is one that would not be
protected by Copyright, but would be protected by this Sui Generis Database
Right.

It is highly likely that any substantial data sets we are dealing with
within Lucero are protected by the Sui Generis Database right, although very
small data sets might be excluded. Certainly we could be pretty sure that
the library catalogue would protected in this way.

The Database right applies for only 15 years from the completion OR first
publication of the database. However, where a database is published, any
significant update to the database (whether through a single action, or
ongoing changes) refresh the term of the database right, starting at 15
years again (see 'Term of Protection' in
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31996L0009:EN:HTML
)

The main two areas of uncertainty (IMO) are:

   - What might constitute a 'substantial part' of a database
   - What might constitute a 'significant update' of a database in order to
   refresh the 15 year term of the database right

It seems likely to me that case law will provide the only route of
establishing guidance on these issues

Finally just to note that from v3.0 the CC licenses include provision for
both works protected by copyright AND works protected by the EU Sui Generis
Database Right (see
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/f/f6/V3_Database_Rights.pdf).
Therefore as far as I can see it is valid to apply CC licenses to
bibliographic datasets, and the outcome is essentially the same whether the
dataset is protected by Copyright or by both Copyright and Database Right

Owen

--
Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting