Re: Question about MARCXML to Models transformation

Karen, I agree completely.  Where I think Jeff's argument stumbles a bit
(and let me be clear, Jeff, I agree with your general point!) is that we
have enough data to fill out a Manifestation and then half the story for an
Expression and Work, which may or may not be enough to actually identify the
"real" Expression or Work.  Since creator and language are not tied to
Manifestation, the appropriate Expression and Work either need to be found,
created (contrived, possibly) or simply throw away the data until one of the
first two conditions are met.

Now, in Jeff's defense, he's also absolutely right :).  There's nothing in
OWL or /anything/ that can prevent you putting a dcterms:language or
dcterms:creator/contributor property on a frbr:Manifestation.  None of these
properties have domains, so nothing is being implied about the resource by
asserting them.  It is solely the FRBR /conceptual model/ that prohibits
this.

But one could argue at this point, what's the advantage of calling the
"Thing" a "Manifestation"?  Where is the value of an isolated E or M (I'm
going to say that Ws are useful on their own), especially when asserting a
property that is more appropriate somewhere else in the hierarchy doesn't
cause all cultural heritage institutions to simultaneously vanish in a puff
of logic?

I guess what I'm asking is, does anything more than implied WEMI matter?
What are we prevented from doing if we model our resources using an implied
FRBR model?

-Ross.