Re: Question about MARCXML to Models transformation

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Tillett, Barbara <btil@loc.gov> wrote:

> Baconian theory is a subdivision under Shakespeare in LCSH, and as such you
> should be able to get to that "facet" from id.loc.gov - I'll see what if
> anything is preventing you from getting that.

"Baconian theory" isn't an authorized heading (or subdivision).  So you'd
need to do something like what they do for "Minnesota" (which falls into the
same pit as "Shakespeare, William..." until LC releases the NAF as linked
data): http://www.loc.gov/standards/mads/rdf/examples/sh2007010620.rdf (see
/RDF/Authority/componentList).  Here they use a blank node, which works,
obviously, and meets the requirements of an rdf list, but I don't see the
value in it and kicks the eventual reconciliation problem down the road.

By simply changing the list to a container, this need to contrive a heading
is unnecessary.  You would simply add the linkages when they come
available.  Since the blank node would add very little (a label, at most,
probably), what's the point?  What value does it bring?

> As for the felxibility of the model - I believe it is open to expansion and
> adaptation into different data models as needed for applications - FRBR is a
> theoretical conceptual model.... If we fid applications where there is need
> for an expression to connect to more than one work, then that application
> should build that in, and the FRBR Review Borad should be alerted to that
> fact so they can adjust the conceptual model.  Likewise, if we have a new
> term (or an old one that was overlooked) in a controlled vocabulary, there
> are already mechanisms to add and adjust terms to maintain the structures of
> that controlled vocabulary.  They aren't as cast in stone as you seem to
> imply. - Barbara

I'm actually talking about the opposite of this: not that the model cannot
meet the demands of our data, but that our data cannot meet the demands of
the model.  We've talked a bit about the difficulty we have had identifying
Expressions in our legacy data -- and, again, the relative lack of value a
vast majority of them actually would give us: a language, maybe.  Again, I
point to the Open Library as a pretty good real world scenario here.  They
have the notion of Work (and I would argue it conforms, more or less, with
the FRBR definition of Work) and then they munge the notion of Expression,
Manifestation (and, occasionally, Item, I guess, for digitized things) into
something they call an "Edition".  For them (and I suspect many) the value
of a perfect FRBR conceptualization of their data is far lower than the cost
it would take to actually create it.

This is not to say that the FRBR model is wrong or even necessarily flawed.
I just think that applying it verbatim to RDF through OWL with an
application profile that is intended to enforce its rules is more likely a
barrier to adoption than it is insurance of semantic interoperability.

After Karen expressed her frustrations (on another list, I think -- maybe
ol-tech) about trying to model the WEM hierarchy in RDF for Open Library, I
made a series of properties on open.vocab.org as sort of a compromise:

http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonEndeavour
http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonWork
http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonExpression
http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonManifestation
http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonItem

the point of which being that not all data is going to be modeled as FRBR
(resources modeled as BIBO, for example, ignore the distinctions of the WEMI
hierarchy) even though the FRBR relationship model is still just as
applicable.  It also circumvents the need to contrive resources based on a
lack of data by *implying* their existence without the demands of explicitly
modeling them.  When (and if!) these FRBR entities ever are realized, they
can be linked in then without any need to go back and clean up the stubs we
had to create just to get off the ground.

All I'm saying is that we need to avoid the tail wagging the dog,  There is
no reason we cannot have rich, interlinked, authoritative data, but one of
the most valuable aspects of linked data is how well suited it is to
iterative data modeling.  Say what you know now and avoid unnecessary
statements required simply because the model is forcing you to.  Add things
as you learn them and link to them.

Having a rigid, well-defined model is fine.  It helps give something to
point to and provide an exemplar to work towards.  At the same time, it
needs to allow for a loose way to refer to it, otherwise nothing will ever
get done.

-Ross.