Re: Question about MARCXML to Models transformation

Daniel

There is a mapping from MARC Bibliographic and MARC Authority to RDA, but it is
currently only available within the RDA Toolkit (so a subscription is required
to access it). RDA is based on FRBR/FRAD, so these mappings will at least
provide some guidance.

However, you need to think about the implications of using the FRBRer, FRAD and
FRSAD models. They have strong ontological constraints; for example, an instance
of the class frbrer:Expression requires the existence of an instance of the
class frbrer:Work (but not vice-versa). IFLA will publish an OWL ontology for
FRBR later this month (March 2011).

These constraints should also apply to the "FRBR entities for RDA" elements in
the Open Metadata Registry, and will apply to constrained properties registered
for RDA itself. For this reason, we have added unconstrained (no domain or
range) versions of the RDA properties to the Registry. Of course, the
unconstrained properties carry less semantic information than the constrained
versions. But correct use of RDA implies a complete FRBRized record structure
and cataloguing environment, which MARC21 does not have.

An alternative is to use the ISBD element set, also in the Open Metadata
Registry. This might be more appropriate, because MARC21 (and AACR2) are based
on ISBD, so the fit is easier to map. The ISBD element set is close to being
approved: you can safely use the URIs as the only changes from now on will be
cosmetic rather than semantic (some labels, definitions and scope notes require
rewording).

Several other projects are involved in mapping MARC type records to RDF;
seehttp://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Migrating_Library_Legacy_DataYou
may find some useful information from them.

fwiw, the ISBD/XML Study Group intends to make a preliminary identification of
issues involved in representing UNIMARC in RDF, and subsequently mapping it to
ISBD. This will happen over the next few months, but it is expected that it will
take a year or two to complete UNIMARC in RDF.

Please contact me off-list if you want to discuss this in more detail.

But, please, send any information about progress on your project to the list - I
think we are all very interested in real-world activity!

Cheers

Gordon