Re: New BNB sample data available

Quoting Simon Spero <sesuncedu@gmail.com>:

> In regards to the requirement that preflabel must be unique within a scheme,
> this is an essential property of controlled vocabularies (ambiguity
> control).  See e.g. NISO Z39.19 section 5.3.1 (not sure what the paragraph
> number is in 2788, but it's roughly the same wording).
>
> It's been LC policy since 1876 :-) [Cutter rule # 173].

Right, but the context of that rule is a thesaurus or controlled
vocabulary in which the "prefLabel" *is* the identifier for the
"thing." There were no URIs in 1876. FRAD continues this by
essentially having two identifiers -- one for machines (URI) and one
for humans (prefLabel). This makes sense, to some degree, because you
do want to communicate unambiguously to both machines and humans, but
I'm not totally convinced that prefLabel is the way to do that, since
different communities are likely to favor different prefLabels. (Think
of the difference between MeSH subject headings and LCSH subject
headings for the same thing.) Communicating to humans unambiguously is
devilishly hard, as we know.

kc

--
Karen Coyle