Re: A better solution for legacy IDs?

On Sunday, 11 December 2011, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> I keep running into the same problem in different projects: we've got a
bunch of legacy identifiers, like ISBNs, PMIDs, OCLC numbers, etc. It's
important to carry them in the linked data that we are creating, but the
maintenance agencies haven't provided them with URIs. That means we need to
keep the base identifier string along with something that, well, identifies
the identifier. I know that BIBO has BIBO:ISBN, etc., but it's just not
going to work to create a separate property for each one of these, the
number of them is too large.

Yes, this is always cropping up.

Can you expand on 'too large'? You can fit breathtaking amounts of data on
a USB stick - or Web site - these days. What kind of size are we looking
at? Is the problem admin/social (eg. Decentralization expected) or
technical or a mix?

Dan

> Has anyone developed and published a good "legacy identifier graph" that
we could adopt? If not, would someone like to propose one?