Re: Recommendations: URIs

In message <20110426170419.20255artp3h78m83@kcoyle.net>, Karen Coyle
<kcoyle@kcoyle.net> writes
>Thanks for the comment. It seems to me that you are making a
>distinction between ontologies (and value vocabularies) and instance
>data -- do I have that right? And that we should emphasize creating
>URIs for ontologies FIRST, with URIs for instance data having a second
>priority.
>
>That makes sense to me. Do folks generally agree on that? In terms of
>FRBR (for the FRBoRg among us) that would mean that we would not insist
>on creating URIs for bibliographic resources (WEMI), knowing  that
>having URIs for entities like Persons would facilitate matching  and
>deduplication.

Well, to take a specific case, I would say that publishers of
authorities which are in general use should take urgent steps to
re-publish them as LD.  Take LCSH as an example: without standard URIs
for LCSH headings, libraries which have been diligently using LCSH for
their subject headings would have difficulties when publishing this
information as LD.  If they had to mint their own URIs for LCSH
headings, they would have lost the benefit of using a standard.

A related point is that such publishers should provide mechanisms to
facilitate the conversion of user data to LD form.  Thus users might
have used the LCSH heading "Parks--Delaware" in their data; they need
(for example) a web service which makes it easy to submit this data and
get back the URI "http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh94007324#concept".

Richard

--
Richard Light