RE: Publication types in RDF with RDA

Jakob Voss wrote:
> Discussing extensions to the DAIA ontology and format, we found that it
> would be helpful to identify an digital publication that is accessible
> via the Web. As far as I understand, a physical object and a digital
> publication are mutually exclusive manifestations in terms of RDA.

I like the way FaBiO does this part. fabio:Manifestation is subclassed by fabio:DigitalManifestation and fabio:AnalogManifestation. These are subclassed further by fabio:WebManifestation and fabio:PrintObject. Much of the rest of the FaBiO model is debatable, but IMO it makes sense to cherry pick across these vocabularies for the things they're good at.

<http://RDVocab.info/termLIst/extent/1031> is a skos:Concept not an rdfs:Class, so this wouldn't be the best way.

> or
>
> <my:item>
>    a frbr:Manifestation ;
>    dc:extent <http://RDVocab.info/termLIst/extent/1031> .

I'm going to guess that http://RDVocab.info/Elements/extent is the correct property to use, but there is no domain/range set on it, so it's hard to tell without digging deeper into the RDA documentation.

my:item
	a <http://RDVocab.info/uri/schema/FRBRentitiesRDA/Manifestation>;
	<http://RDVocab.info/Elements/extent> <http://RDVocab.info/termLIst/extent/1031>.

Even though dcterms and RDVocab both use the term "extent", I'm not sure they mean the same thing. The range on dcterms:extent is <http://purl.org/dc/terms/SizeOrDuration>, which is described this way:

URI: 	http://purl.org/dc/terms/SizeOrDuration
Label: 	Size or Duration
Definition: 	A dimension or extent, or a time taken to play or execute.
Comment: 	Examples include a number of pages, a specification of length, width, and breadth, or a period in hours, minutes, and seconds.

In contrast, here's the list of skos:Concepts in the http://RDVocab.info/termLIst/extent ConceptScheme:

http://metadataregistry.org/concept/list/vocabulary_id/169.html

As you noted, it is termLIst and case does matters.

Jeff