Re: Ideas for Recommendations for Report

On 30 Mar 2011, at 12:46, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> Hi Karen,
>
> I too support taking Richard's stuff onboard! When I read "syllabi" below, however, I'm wondering if this is a bit too "traditional", i.e., focused on bibliography.

I don't read this that way -- I'm understanding 'syllabi' not just as using LD for presenting course materials but also as having courses which incorporate linked data and semantic web as topics.

I think syllabi which incorporate linked data and semantic web are crucial for information programs. Bibliography is one place this belongs (LD/SW can be seen as extending metadata, where global identifiers offer potential for global interoperability). Yet  there's theoretical work to be done in information organization -- particularly in bridging the perspectives between traditional library sciences (which haven't always been taken into account).

There's still no book on library/information science I would think to give my colleagues who come out of computer science -- Svenonius' "The Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization" is a bible, and brillant, and a valiant attempt at making LIS accessible. Yet it is too dense and too theoretical to be a comfortable read for most developers I know!

> That's of course important, but when I think of integrating library data into "formal" (here, academic) stuff, I would have actually thought of integration of library data with research data, when this research data puts library objects (or other museum/archive objects) at the core of their focus. Of course this would apply especially to cases when library data as part of a family of LAM data which is interesting to digital humanities researchers [1], but there might be other institutional groupings and/or research contexts.

These are all of course interesting!

> But perhaps I'm now too much into the discussion on potential benefits, which Ed and the others started, so I'll stop :-)

At one point, syllabi/course materials was on our list for discussion -- has that fallen by the wayside?

-Jodi