Re: Non- and Partial-FRBR Metadata

Jon Phipps:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Jon Phipps <jonp@jesandco.org> wrote:
>> Karen,
>>
>> This might be a bit radical, but what would happen to your model if,
>> rather than thinking of the FRBR entities as 'entities', you thought of
>> them as simply classifications/groupings of the properties describing a
>> single bibliographic resource -- an item

> Quoting Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>

> I've been tempted by this kind of design too.

> I tend to see FRBR as a source of functional requirements, rather than
> of a direct OO class model to use in RDF.

Me, three, I have thought about it this way, but I can't figure out
how to make it work on a real bibliographic system. Essentially, this
is what we have today with MARC21 records (and ISBD records, I
believe). All of the data describing either an item or a manifestation
is created as a single set. Then say that you want to present a view
to your users that shows them works, and all of the expressions of
those works. (There are real reasons for presenting a frbr:work view,
BTW, so this is more than hypothetical.) This MAY be possible if you
have in each bibliographic description (this is from the 2008 FRBR
doc, not the registered FRBRer) the same:

title of the work
form of work
date of the work
other distinguishing characteristic
intended termination
intended audience
context for the work
medium of performance (musical work)
numeric designation (musical work)
key (musical work)
coordinates (cartographic work)
equinox (cartographic work)

because this is what identifies a frbr:work. This is how we will
discover "workness" in bibliographic data that doesn't have FRBR
entities defined. Even if most of these are expressed with URIs, I
have concerns about the efficiency of making this decision for each
search and display.

But the bigger issue, to me, is how you will use a loosely organized
set of properties to express:

    somethingA is an adaptation of somethingB
    somethingX is a translation of somethingY

What will identify these somethingS such that these relationships can
be made? It's that question that always brings me to a halt.

kc
--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net