RE: Library data diagram

Andy,

The "metadata record" use case doesn't seem that different to me. For
example, we could content-negotiate representations of a MARC bib record
in a variety of models including FRBR OWL AND a DC application profile:

http://example.org/bib/12345/x-dc.rdf
http://example.org/bib/12345/frbr.rdf
http://example.org/bib/12345/marc21.xml
http://example.org/bib/12345/marc21.mrc
etc.

In the FRBR OWL representation, a lightweight connection between
"BibRecord" and FRBR could arguably be made like so:

<owl:Class rdf:about="&ex;BibRecord" />

<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#&ex;describes">
  <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="&ex;BibRecord" />
  <rdfs:range rdf:resource="&frbr;Manifestation" />
</owl:ObjectProperty

<ex:BibRecord rdf:about="http://example.org/bib/12345">
  <ex:describes>
    <frbr:Manifestation
rdf:about="http://example.org/manifestation/98765">
    </frbr:Manifestation>
  </ex:describes>
</ex:BibRecord>

The interesting information in the MARC record can then be expressed
using FRBR OWL. "Application profiled" DC seems like one of many
possible variant representations to me.

Jeff

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/File:LayeredModelV3.pdf