Re: Returning to OWL and application profiles

Hi Mikael,

I just defended my PhD thesis [1] last week and it contains a section
7.5 devoted to APs specified in OWL (also referring to your AP
constraint language). I suggest you have a read :-)

What I propose is to create subclasses of a particular class such as
lib:Book, e.g. my:Book and constrain property values on my:Book so that
no inconsistency arises with his:Book (which may have entirely different
constraints). We call this "collection-specific value ranges" (with
collections referring to cultural heritage collections), but cardinality
constraints is basically the same story.

The only thing that then has to be added is a way to classify every book
as either my:Book or something else (the "something elses" representing
wrongly specified books, i.e. violations of the AP constraints). This is
probably abusing OWL a bit, but it can probably be done.

An alternative is to just accept OWL as a "syntax" for the AP
constraints, and implement your own checker on top of that. This removes
the need to develop your own language (and parser) which will contain
almost the same syntactical elements anyway.

(As far as I can tell this is also what DC-APs are intended to do. I had
discussions with Tom Baker about this, and he was part of the committee
that accepted my thesis last week so apparently I didn't write rubbish :-)

Best,
Mark
[1]http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark/papers/thesis-mfjvanassem.pdf