Re: Linked Data URIs in MARC Authorities

Quoting Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>:

> Jeff,
>
> The 1xx$0 is actually used in bib records (not authority) and is defined as:
> $0 - Authority record control number (R)
>
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd100.html
>
> It seems applicable, but the context it would be used in would sort of
> imply the opposite meaning than what it does in bibliographic records.

I agree with Ross. In addition, putting a $u or $0 in the 1xx implies
that the link is relevant to the "preferred form of the name" not the
entity being described. The identifier for the authority record itself
goes in the 001 or the 010 (although the latter only is for the LCCN).
Any subfield in a field relates only to that field, logically, not the
record as a whole. That said, the MARC formats are full of
inconsistencies and any such statement probably has an exception. I
suggested an 0xx because at least in bib records those fields are
generally record level, and there are a variety of record-level
identifiers that can be found in there (along with a miscellaneous
assortment of other data, like languages, dates, and geographic codes).

kc

> -Ross.
>
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org> wrote:
>> Martin,
>>
>> I can believe that "the 1XX identifies what the record is *about*"
>> and would challenge anyone to argue otherwise.
>>
>> What is your argument for choosing $0 rather than $u? Neither are
>> currently specified and $u appears to be commonly used for URIs in
>> other fields:
>>
>> http://www.loc.gov/marc/856guide.html#other_fields
>>
>> Jeff

>>> 100 '1' ' ' $aStrindberg, August, $d1849-1912

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net