AW: VIAF contributor model

Hi everyone,

It’s good to see the ongoing discussion after our F2F meeting.

What I miss are  some  questions about VIAF in general:

·          What do we expect of VIAF in future?

·          How do we and others intend to reuse the contained data?

·          And how will VIAF obtain data of library systems in future (probably not only by harvesting approaches like today).

Never develop without UCs in mind ;-)

Personally I see VIAF as the centralized information system to accomplish world-wide existing authority data from libraries. So what is more important to us, the non-library world making use of this data by VIAF or do we intend the establishment of a linked data environment for the purpose of library data aggregation and alignment, or maybe both same much?

Actually I don’t want to discuss formats at this point but catching the discussion, SKOS is easy to use – true - but out of my point of view not enough for the aggregation and differentiation of authority data (facing persons and corporate bodies) around the world. Means we need something additional for OUR purposes to describe these entities what immediately brings us back to the FR-models (this is OUR, the library world). Quoting Gordon: “the FRAD class is a sub-class of the FRBRer class”.

@Jeff how much information about persons and corporate bodies would you like to provide by VIAF? I would appreciate the full spectrum of available information out of all the authority files. If so VIAF could really act as the global authority system and not only as a provider for names…

However, back to the formats I don’t want to discuss J foaf doesn’t have the power to reflect our comprehensive data – I thought we want to make this high quality data available for the public –if so we should have a closer look modeling the data in FRBRer, FRAD and/or RDA in parallel to the SKOS representation.

Cheers, alex