RE: "universal citation index"

In terms of Linked Data, it should make sense to treat citations as
text/plain variant representations of a FRBR Manifestation. The linking
aspects can be handled in HTML and RDF representations.

http://example.org/manifestation/1 (303 redirect to...)
http://example.org/manifestation/1/ (Generic resource 200 conneg to...)
http://example.org/manifestation/1/default.html
(text/html;application/xhtml+xml)
http://example.org/manifestation/1/frbr.rdf (application/rdf+xml)

http://example.org/manifestation/1/citation-apa.txt (text/plain)
http://example.org/manifestation/1/citation-chicago.txt (text/plain)
http://example.org/manifestation/1/citation-mla.txt (text/plain)
http://example.org/manifestation/1/citation-harvard.txt (text/plain)
http://example.org/manifestation/1/citation-turabian.txt (text/plain)
etc.

Since there are multiple text/plain representations of the generic
resource being made available, conneg for Accept: text/plain could
return 300 (Multiple Choices) with links to each.

Jeff