Re: [open-bibliography] MARC Codes for Forms of Musical Composition

On 10-07-07 17:23, Houghton,Andrew wrote:

> You are arguing that they are the same resource by having the
> individual, identified by the same URI, have multiple rdf:type's.
>  There is a direct analogy with the TAG GenericResource-53 decision
> which basically says use separate URIs for the generic resource and
> its variant representations... per my prior example:
>

>   <!-- Generic Resource -->
>
>   <owl:Thing rdf:about="#Person">
>
>     <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="" />
>
>     <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="#foaf:Person" />
>
>     <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="#skos:Concept" />
>
>   </owl:Thing>
>

>   <!-- Variant Representation -->
>
>   <foaf:Person rdf:about="#foaf:Person">
>
>     <dct:identifier>1</dct:identifier>
>
>     <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="#Person" />
>
>   </foaf:Person>
>

>   <!-- Variant Representation -->
>
>   <skos:Concept rdf:about="#skos:Concept">
>
>     <dct:identifier>5</dct:identifier>
>
>     <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="#Person" />
>
>   </skos:Concept>

Somewhat tangentially, I don't understand how using rdfs:seeAlso
*implies* that the target resources are variant representations, it only
says that there might be some related information over there, the
question of "related how?" is left open. Continuing, I assume there is
some predicate, xyz:variantRepresentation that has the meaning that you
want.

Now, I can see that what you have written already implies some types
that you haven't written down,

	@prefix : <#> .

	:Person a rdfs:Resource .

	:foaf:Person a rdfs:Resource ;
		a foaf:Agent ;
		a foaf:SpatialThing ;
		a geo:SpatialThing .

	:skos:Concept a rdfs:Resource .

I think that what you are getting at is that often people will try to
give a single identifier to different things. This is a problem because
different things should have different identifiers. If they have the
same identifier than as you say it is impossible to figure out which
properties belong with which. So much is true. But having multiple
rdf:types does not imply that such a conflation has been made.

In other words, this is true:

	?x a Conflation => ?x has multiple rdf:types

but, this is not true:

	?x has multiple rdf:types => ?x a Conflation

Cheers,
-w

--
William Waites           <william.waites@okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation

RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python
		http://ordf.org/