RE: MARC Codes for Forms of Musical Composition

Let me address Ross' question before attempting to argue that restraint
to a single rdf:type is good practice.

Here is the example in question:

http://purl.org/NET/marccodes/muscomp/sy.rdf

The owl:sameAs property asserts that these two URIs identify "the same
thing" (http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#sameAs-def):

http://purl.org/NET/marccodes/muscomp/sy#genre

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Symphony

The 1st URI responds with this statement:

<http://purl.org/NET/marccodes/muscomp/sy#genre> rdf:type
<http://purl.org/ontology/mo/Genre>

The 2nd URI responds with this:

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Symphony> rdf:type
<http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/Mx4rwSmVfJwpEbGdrcN5Y29ycA>

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Symphony> rdf:type
<http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/Mx4rvcNktpwpEbGdrcN5Y29ycA>

Other rdf:type and owl:sameAs assertions cascade from there in dbpedia.

The following document isn't authoritative, but it discusses some of the
confusion surrounding owl:sameAs and may also help us sort out the
issues:

http://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/papers/ws21.

Here is a quote:

"However, owl:sameAs does have a particular semantics of individual
identity, namely that the two individuals are exactly the same and so
share all the same properties." (original emphasis).

Since rdf:type is a property, I assume that an OWL reasoner should back
me up in my claim that Ross' example has multiple rdf:types. I just
downloaded Pellet and will report on the results once I figure out how
to run it. Hopefully, it will demonstrate how "share" involving
owl:sameAs plays out in practice.

Jeff