Re: RE: Citation Cluster

There is a difference between the act of citation and a Bibliographic
reference. However the end aim of a citation is to reference a work
(whatever this is, book, conversation, presentation or other ) in a precise
fashion.

The sticking point comes when we examine the current data for citations. Due
to various concessions to text formatting and house styles, the data frankly
isn't good enough! Much of it lacks decent identifying features, Nature iirc
doesn't even include the article title!

Even with what you might consider a decent set of data, the pubmed open
access dataset, we are finding issues as part of the jisc open citations
project, run by david Shotton. On occassion finding references that never
occur in the text, dois that point to the wrong article and simply bad data.

Alex Dutton and I are working on ways to concert the XML data into
manipulatable formats, concentrating on graphml for Gephi and networkx, and
rdf for sparqling.

Don't get me started on how nasty, murky and undeclared the licence
situation for citations is either!

Ben