W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-lld@w3.org > August 2010

Re: Open Library and RDF

From: Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:28:32 -0400
To: "gordon@gordondunsire.com" <gordon@gordondunsire.com>
Cc: "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>, public-lld@w3.org, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Message-ID: <20100816202832.GA6008@octavius>
Hi Gordon,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 08:45:25PM +0100, gordon@gordondunsire.com wrote:
> I hope to be in on Thursday's call, and would be delighted to report back from
> IFLA. I've only just exited the IFLA hothouse; there was a special meeting of
> the FRBR Review Group today to consider the RDF representations of FRBRer and
> FRAD (I'm still working on FRSAD). I travel back tomorrow, and will need some
> time on Wednesday to recover from what has been 14 days without a break.

Excellent - I will put "Reports from IFLA" on the agenda.

> I can say right now that we have agreed to create unbounded versions of FRBRer
> and FRAD properties in a separate namespace from those already in draft in the
> Open Metadata Registry; we'll link the controlled models with the unbounded ones
> using sub-property and sub-class relationships as appropriate. Only the
> controlled models will be recommended by the Review Group, for reasons already
> raised, but we hope the unbounded stuff will be of some use to other
> communities. But we also intend, eventually, to related the controlled models to
> much broader properties and classes such as FOAF, SKOS, etc. We are going to
> need expert advice on this (e.g. is frbrer:something subproperty/class
> frbrerlite:something subproperty/class skos/foaf/etc:something sensible?), and
> hope the LLD XG will be able to help. Please, please do not respond to this
> specific issue right now, and give me time to produce something more structured
> for consideration. I'm hoping to submit a bunch of use cases over the next week
> or two.

You have a pending action:

ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc. for discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in http://www.w3.org/
2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06]

...which we can get back to, as planned, in September.
For now, take a well-deserved break :-)

> I'm feeling very positive about the outcomes of IFLA discussions this past week;
> there have been a lot of good developments and decisions, some of which
> Emmanuelle and others may already have mentioned - I still need to read later
> emails. I've been unable to contribute as much as I want to the LLD XG so far
> because IFLA protocol operates on a one-year cycle, effectively; they now know
> that much faster responses are needed, and are happy for this to happen when
> appropriate.

Great - I am eager to hear more :-)

Tom
Received on Monday, 16 August 2010 20:29:12 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:18:57 UTC