Re: a simplified Turtle-like profile for JSON-LD

(This is not an answer to this particular mail, just general thoughts on the full thread.)

Manu wrote at some point:

> Clarifying who the target audience for this new approach/language will be
> important to do early on so it's clear who the stakeholders are.

I think that is a very important point, because the result of the discussion would become
drastically different. Michael did say:

> My approach for this profile was "starting from zero, what do i need to add
> in from JSON-LD to serialize RDF the way i would in Turtle", and not "what
> can i cut away from the full JSON-LD".

If the target audience may be the current RDF community (and I would count myself
to be part of that, i.e., I would like that direction) then the primary question is
why would the RDF community need this. Manu rightfully said:

> Do we know how many Turtle developers there are... or how disgruntled they are?
> Most everyone I know that uses Turtle/TRiG likes using the language.

I think most of the core RDF developers/users are all Turtle users today, which may answer
Manu's first question. But the second question is definitely to be answered.

In other words, we have to find out what the problem is that would be solved by this
turtle-like JSON-LD. Trying to find an answer, I would look into two areas (there might be more):

- While RDF developers often use languages like Python, Java, or Rust, there is a separate
community trying to create a Javascript/Typescript environment for RDF, much like we have
RDFLib for Python, or Jena for Java. For Javascript there is an rdfjs community[1] but I
am not sure if there is a stable library like RDFLib that everyone is using. (Maybe n3[2] it is, but
it is also not complete). But that community might be interested in a very natural, quick, and small
foot-print RDF serialization in Json, which may be more efficient than handling Turtle/TriG. I would
definitely look for a parsing directly into the rdfjs data model.

- There are number of json based non-sql databases out there, and I am sure some of those are used
to store RDF data. I am not familiar with that world (although I used mongodb for some toy projects at a time).
There again, having a natural, quick, etc, route from RDF data to the database might be a really
interesting proposition.

Thanks

Ivan

[1] https://rdf.js.org