Re: A library that converts regular JSON to JSON-LD

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 at 21:40, james anderson <james@dydra.com> wrote:

> > On 2020-04-11, at 21:22:27, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/11/20 11:54 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> >> Is there are library that converts simple json (think just a flat
> object of key value pairs)
> >> Into JSON-LD -- any value form will do, if some hacking of the context
> is needed, that would be fine
> >> If no library, is there an algorithm?
> >> And if no algorithm, could we make one?
> >
> > I have not seen one yet, but it's good idea.  In particular, the
> algorithm needs to recursively traverse the JSON tree and keep track of
> nesting to generate an @context that will keep nested properties of the
> same name distinct.
>
> the original request, above, concerned just “simple json”.
>

> >  See the discussion here:
> > https://github.com/w3c/EasierRDF/issues/29
>
> while that discussion treats syntactic issues, neither it nor the cited
> thread - in which a similar question two years ago from mr carvalho went
> unanswered, approach the pertinent question: how is the context to effect
> mappings from field names to meaningful terms?

Ah, good discussion, so the idea could be just add to the top:

  "@context": {
    "@vocab": "urn:{personal-or-app-namespace}:"
  },

And that should work for "simple json"

In other words, "add a @vocab property and @context", then process what
remains

example:

replace '{' at the start with

> '{ "@context": { "@vocab": "urn:string:" },

And then more complex JSON could expand on that algorithm.

Now I have a 1 line shell script which can take ordinary JSON, and get at
least some form of JSON-LD

Does that sound about right?