Re: Language maps and undefined language

> On Apr 11, 2017, at 5:37 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Please consider the I18n group at the W3C on the topic:
>
>    https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language <https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language>
>
> To excerpt the document:
>
> > Use the subtag zxx when the text is known to be not in any language.
>
> > [...] use xml:lang="" <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag>, otherwise use xml:lang="und". These values indicate that we cannot determine, for one reason or another, what the appropriate language information is, or whether the text is non-linguistic.
>
> Note that we cannot use "", as noted, because PHP does not support empty string as the key of a dictionary... and thus we fallback to using "und”.

This likely depends on your perspective. In RDF, if there is no language, the datatype is xsd:string, otherwise, rdf:langString. IMO, xsd:string pretty definitively says that there is no language, closer to “zxx”.

For JSON-LD, you might imagine that something expanding to `{“@value”: “foo”}`, is not, in fact, making any such claim, so that “und” is appropriate. Otherwise, it would be asserted as `{“@value”: “foo”, “@type”: “xsd:string”}`. However, the RDF to JSON-LD transformation does not preserve “xsd:string” in this case (no RDF serializations really do).

Would we expand {“@value”: “foo”, “@language”: “und”} into simply {“@value”: “foo”}? That would be removing the assertion that the language is unknown, while {“@value”: “foo”, “@language”: “zxx”} is easier to see dropping the “@language”.

Of course, this might also depend on the range of the property: dc:title would seem to want something that would have a language, where dc:format probably not. But, looking at the range of properties, other than as defined in the context, is out of scope for JSON-LD. Associating a language-map with a term may be enough to indicate that any value should probably be considered to have a language. Round-tripping may become an issue, though.

Gregg