Re: [FHIR JSON-LD] Different mappings for different nestings?

Hi Josh,

On 03/17/2015 01:11 PM, Josh Mandel wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I think it would be a mistake to map both
> <http://hl7-fhir.github.io/observation-definitions.html#Observation.code> and
> <http://hl7-fhir.github.io/datatypes-definitions.html#Coding.code> to
> "fhir:code".

I didn't call out that issue in my slides
http://dbooth.org/2015/fhir/json-ld/fhir-in-json-ld.pdf
but we did discuss it a little on the teleconference.  My thinking is
that it is definitely not ideal, and it is one of the glitches that
differentiates what we called the "direct RDF" versus our "ideal RDF".
But the reason this did not seem to me to be a complete show-stopper is
that the fhir:code property could be viewed as a super-property that has
different meanings in different contexts of use.  This is often done in
RDF anyway, though admittedly it is normally done in cases where the
grouping of properties into a single super-property is semantically
sensible, rather than just being a result of the property having the
same spelling.  An example that EricP gave is that a foaf:name can be
applied either to a person or an organization, and those are arguably
semantically different uses.  We wouldn't say that Acme Corporation has
a family name and a given name, as we would for a person.

In short, this is definitely an issue to consider when deciding whether
this approach is acceptable.

Thanks,
David Booth