JSON-LD for emerging healthcare standard (FHIR)?

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:29:24 -0500
To: public-linked-json@w3.org
Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) is an emerging
healthcare standard being developed at HL7 that is gaining lots of
momentum, and currently has both XML and JSON representations.  A joint
HL7-W3C work group[1] has been formed to promote the use of RDF for
healthcare information interoperability, and we've been investigating
the potential use of JSON-LD for FHIR instead of plain JSON, so that the
same FHIR JSON-LD messages could be automatically interpretable both as
plain JSON and as RDF (because JSON-LD is both JSON and an RDF
serialization).

This is potentially a fantastic opportunity to get JSON-LD adopted in
healthcare IT.  *However*, if the draft standards for FHIR JSON are to
be changed to specify JSON-LD, the proposed changes need to be made ASAP
-- in the next 2-3 weeks -- before the FHIR standardization effort gets
too far along.

I have started investigating the technical impact of switching to
JSON-LD -- see my interim report[2] -- but I'm running into some issues
around scoping and identifiers that I'm not sure of the best way to
solve.  I'm not a JSON-LD expert, so I'm concerned that in my ignorance
I may miss an important potential solution.

Would anyone who is JSON-LD savvy be willing to help on this?  You do
NOT need to know FHIR or anything about healthcare IT, but your JSON-LD
insight would be very helpful.

Thanks!
David Booth

1. http://wiki.hl7.org/index.php?title=RDF_for_Semantic_Interoperability