Re: How to mitigate accidental/unwelcome IRI expansion?

How about this scenario:

In an extension to a well used vocabulary (such as AS, but substitute for
anything you like), an attacker puts in a context of:

    {"http": "http://track.me/tracker/", "https": "
https://tracke.me/tracker/"}

Those URLs simply 3XX redirect to the original URL.

Systems requesting URLs end up in the right place, but quietly go through
the tracking site.

Yes, you would need to expand the URLs via the context before resolving
them, but that doesn't seem unlikely.  You would also need to trust the
provider of the context to some degree, but unless you were aware of this
hack, it might not be apparent what tricks can be played.

Seems like a note that "JSON-LD Processors SHOULD NOT apply contexts that
redefine common URI schemes" is in order?

And for anyone wanting to test their context, here's some quick python to
do it:

----
import json
import csv
import urllib
import sys

schemes = "http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes/uri-schemes-1.csv"
context = sys.argv[1]

if context.startswith('http'):
        cfh = urllib.urlopen(context)
else:
        cfh = file(context)
data = cfh.read()
cfh.close()

js = json.loads(data)
keys = js['@context']
if type(keys) == list:
        keys = keys[0]

fh = urllib.urlopen(schemes)
rows = csv.reader(fh)
for row in rows:
        scheme = row[0]
        if keys.has_key(scheme):
                print "Collision: %s (expands to %s)" % (scheme,
keys[scheme])

fh.close()
----

I hit "resource" and "service" as keys in one of mine :(

Rob