RE: Question about @base and relative IRI "resolving"

Hi Sean,

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:19 PM, Sean Johnson wrote:
> In case you can't tell from my prior unanswered question (
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-linked-json/2014Nov/0004.html

Sorry, I guess most of us are very busy at the moment.. I'll have a look at that mail right after finishing answering this one :-)

> ) I'm in the middle of a new JSON-LD processor implementation.

Cool. Which language will the processor be written in? Do you plan to open-source it?

> I have another question, this one about 3.4.4 of the Context Processing
> Algorithm (
> http://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld-api/#context-processing-algorithm ). It
> says:
>
>  3.4.4) Otherwise, if value is a relative IRI and the base IRI of result
> is not null, set the base IRI of result to the result of resolving value
> against the current base IRI of result.
>
> My question is, what does "resolving" mean in that sentence?

It means you need to run the algorithm specified in section 5.2 of RFC3986 [1]. This is explained in step 3.2.1 of the context processing algorithm.

It gets resolved to http://cnn.com/foo/bar

> 2) "foo/bar" and then "blat/bloo"

First to http://cnn.com/foo/bar and then http://cnn.com/foo/blat/bloo
This is exactly the same thing that happens in HTML documents for instance. All the details can be found in RFC3986 [1]

> Is #1 above a valid relative IRI? If so, is the new @base of result

Yes

> "http://cnn.com/foo/bar" or "http://cnn.com//foo/bar"?

The former

> For #2 where we have multiple local contexts to process, does this end
> up with the final @base in result as ""http://cnn.com/foo/barblat/bloo"?

No, see above. This is not string concatenation but URI resolution.

> Just looking for some definition of "resolving" in this (unusually)
> vague portion of the otherwise clear spec.

Hope this helps

> Oh… and if you're so inclined to weigh in on value expansion… I'd be
> much obliged:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-linked-json/2014Nov/0004.html

Will do in a minute

Cheers,