Re: [IIIF-Discuss] Re: Multiple Contexts with expand/compact?

Hi Chris,

The advantage is extensibility.  In order to have stable versions of the
main APIs, we can't add in additional services to the main contexts and API
descriptions.  However, technically nothing prevents anyone from adding in
extra information as it's all RDF underneath.  By requiring that the
extensions only come at certain points (eg, as the object of a "service" /
sioc:has_service) and must have their own context, then they're easy to
ignore if the context isn't understood, they're easy to include in the
specification in the future, and means that we don't need to register or
otherwise enforce which external contexts are used.

Also, compactness is a pretty big win.  We don't need to have a single
context that references every other context that someone has proposed as
being potentially useful.  Thus we don't need to worry about collisions
between the contexts, and processing time of reading through all of those
contexts.

Does that help?

Rob