Final GSoC Review of Work for Vikash

Vikash, the following is a review of the demos you placed online for
your final GSoC project deadline:

Creator App -
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5278881/gsoc/json-ld/creator/index.html

LinkedIn -
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5278881/gsoc/json-ld.org.old/linkedIn/index.html

Context-Creator -
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5278881/gsoc/json-ld.org.old/context-creator/index.html

What you had to achieve to pass GSoC was outlined in a previous email:

On 09/03/2013 12:34 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> 1. Finish the LinkedIn App so that it generates at least 20
> different property types in JSON-LD. The mappings to schema.org don't
> have to be perfect, but they should be largely compatible with People
> and Organizations. For anything that doesn't map cleanly, create a
> new LinkedIn vocabulary URL term: http://linkedin.com/vocab#

You seem to have achieved this goal for the most part.

You only included 18 out of the 31 possible properties that you could
have marked up. You left out the list of work experiences which is one
of the most important aspects of a LinkedIn profile/resume.

That said, it should be pretty easy to add later and I hope that you do
so after the GSoC program is over. The tool could do with a bit of
polishing and I hope that you choose to do so in the coming months.

> 2. Generalize the Creator Tool so that it is easy for other
> developers to add new types to the Creator Tool. Ideally, a developer
> should be able to add a JSON-based template that will then be used in
> the Creator tool to dynamically create the UI.

You achieved this goal, but the code that you created to do it is not
generic. The form generation is hard coded, which is unfortunate because
that means that if there are 15 things that could be created, that the
UI for each of those 15 things needs to be manually added to the code.

The tool also doesn't have any sort of documentation that tells the
person using the tool what it does or what they need to do to use it
correctly.

> 3. Using the GreenTurtle RDFa processor, write a JavaScript tool
> that can take the schema.org vocabulary at
> http://schema.org/docs/schema_org_rdfa.html and translate it into a
> usable JSON-LD Context.

You achieved this goal, although the tool's interface has almost no
documentation and doesn't give the person using the tool any idea of why
the tool would be useful.

Overall, I feel that you did close to the minimum necessary to pass
GSoC. In some of these cases, the mentors are being generous in what
we're accepting as completed work. The final decision came down to
whether the site would be better or worse with the tools that you have
developed over the GSoC project.

In the end, while the tools you have spent the past 3 months creating
still need quite a bit of work, it was decided that the site would be
better by including them and having you improve upon them than not
including them in the site at all. We also understand that this is one
of your first experiences in the work world and have tried to be lenient
in how we rate your performance. Our hope is that you use the coming
months to improve upon your tools, document them, fix issues, and make
them easier to extend for developers.

Congratulations on passing GSoC. I hope it was a useful learning
experience for you and helped you understand what it takes to be a part
of an open source project. If you apply the same effort to your future
work that you did during the last few weeks of GSoC, I'm positive that
you will become a strong core developer in time.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/