Re: Singular vs. plural for @set and @list

On Dec 10, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Anders Riutta <anders.riutta@gladstone.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to understand whether singular or plural ids are best for @list and @set. In the example in the spec, a @list has a singular id:
>
> "nick": [ "joe", "bob", "jaybee" ]
>
> But if we treat the list as a typical JSON array, it would be common to use "nicks" here instead of "nick."
>
> Unlike the "nick" example, the example for @reverse uses the plural:
>
>  "children": [
>    {
>      "@id": "#bart",
>      "name": "Bart"
>    },
>    {
>      "@id": "#lisa",
>      "name": "Lisa"
>    }
>  ]
>
> Are there any JSON-LD conventions on whether to use singular or plural with @list and @set?

This is an issue which has been discussed among vocabulary designers for some time. It comes down to choice of the designer, but I think that most favor using the singular form. The nice thing about JSON-LD is you can have it both ways by aliasing both singular and plural to the same vocabulary term within the context, perhaps with a difference in @container.

Gregg