Test manifest/vocabulary updates

On Aug 23, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 08/23/2013 04:51 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> On Friday, August 23, 2013 1:32 AM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>>> We could create an "option" property, which takes a set of objects to
>>> define the option name and value to be passed in. Values are typically
>>> strings, but it may be useful to pass in arrays or hashes as values
>>> too; however, this would loose an RDF interpretation of the value, so
>>> we might not want to go there. This might look like the following:
>>>
>> [...]
>>>           "@id": "#txxx",
>>>           "@type": ["jld:PositiveEvaluationTest", "jld:CompactTest"],
>> [...]
>>>           "option": [{
>>>             "name": "base",
>>>             "value": "http://example/"
>>>           }],
>> Wouldn't it be simpler to have a single JSON object containing all the
>> options/flags? Something like
>>
>>   "options": {
>>     "base": "http://example.com",
>>     "compactArrays": "true"
>>   }
>>
>> I think that would simplify the implementation of test runners as well as
>> make the test manifests more concise.
>
> +1

I updated the test-suite instructions with this, and modified the vocabulary. The vocabulary's maintained in http://json-ld.org/test-suite/vocab.ttl. There is a small ruby script to generate vocab.jsonld and vocab.html (in HTML+RDFa) from this. You can see the HTML+RDFa version at http://json-ld.org/test-suite/vocab. Between the two documents, developers should have everything they need to know to create a test runner to run the test suite.

As the runner should not have any a-priori knowledge of the test manifests, we can probably simplify the test organization. I'd like to eliminate error-expand-manifest.jsonld and fold that test into the expand-manifest.jsonld. It also uses an @type of jld:ApiErrorTest, but this is redundant with jld:NegativeEvaluationTest, which already expects an error result.

Next task is to identify tests; I suggest that we create manifest entries for any MUST clause not already having a test (if we were really ambitions, we'd annotate each test with what normative requirement it is testing). If we take a divide and conquer method, we should be able to get through these in the next week or so; certainly, prior to entering CR.

Gregg