Re: FYI: Interesting dicussion over at rest-discuss

On 1/10/12 8:41 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is an interesting discussion on rest-discuss [1] going on whether new
> media types are evil or not. In that context, once again the need for a
> "single new media type; one that combines JSON:s simple expressiveness with
> native support for
> hyperlinks!" came up.
>
> I replied [2] and mentioned JSON-LD as one that supports exactly that. One
> of the first reactions was once again that JSON-LD == RDF and that it is not
> minimal and simple [3]. I think by showing some examples later in that
> thread I was at least partly able to show that that's not the case.
> Nevertheless, people seem to prejudge JSON-LD by simply putting it in the
> same corner as RDF and "all that other complex Semantic Web stuff".

> Markus Lanthaler
> @markuslanthaler

Markus,

JSON-LD != RDF. But the narrative around it still finds a way to
gravitate to RDF.

If you look at some of the older posts on this thread, I've tried
repeatedly to warn about this problem with the letters R-D-F.

When a moniker is bad, its bad. Unfair, but that's how the world works.
A bad name or reputation is hard to fix.

RDF or the letters R-D-F have a horrible reputation (rightly or wrongly
so). It will always insert inertia for the aforementioned reasons :-(

Personally, JSON-LD doesn't need the inertia of RDF.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO