Re: Yet another serialization format?

From: William Waites <ww@styx.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:19:24 +0200
To: public-linked-json@w3.org
* [2011-06-30 20:52:40 +0100] Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> écrit:
]
] Programming is about orchestrated Create, Update, Delete operations
] against Data via Addresses.
]
] Programming languages facilitate the above.
]
] Programming languages interface with host operating systems.
]
] Linked Data is about data representation that leverages "data access by
] reference".
]
] REST is about a form of CRUD orchestration against network addresses
] (URLs), where data representation is negotiable and addresses hackable,
] courtesy of URL abstraction.
]
] REST and Linked Data is a form of Distributed Computing with Data
] Objects that many efforts failed to deliver in the past e.g., CORBA.
]
] It is good old basic stuff but at InterWeb (network) scales.

I agree with all this. My point was that modern programs (i.e.
compilers and interpreters for languages like Java, Python, etc) tend
to hide the housekeeping details (pointer and maybe http-range-14
types of indirections) from the user (programmer) because doing the
housekeeping by hand is both tedious and error-prone.

If JSON-LD and wider work can provide a way to similarly manage this
kind of housekeeping automatically without the programmer worrying
about it then that's a good thing.

That this might be possible is argued by analogy to modern programming
languages that seem to do just this.

Cheers,
-w
--