RE: Expansion Algorithm

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 17:47:40 +0800
To: <public-linked-json@w3.org>
> > Then we need to use an implied xsd:integer type, where this prefix is
> never declared by the user and forces us to define JSON-LD primitive
> types in terms of XSD. This is why I suggested that the expanded form
> should continue to use the native datatype representation:
> >
> > {
> >    "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/age": 54
> > }
>
> The problem with that representation is that the datatype is unknown.
> Is
> 54 an integer or a double? Is it an unsigned integer or a signed
> integer? Is it just a "number"?

Why is the data type unknown? It's a JSON number. Do we really wanna move
that far away from plain old JSON?

> I think expanded form should be regular and explicit with datatypes --
> and both of these goals are accomplished with how expansion works at
> the moment.

Hmm.. I would say that should be the goal of normalization. Of course an
option would be to introduce a new API method which just expands the IRIs..
So basically we would split expansion into two parts. IRI expansion and
(non-IRI) value expansion.