Re: Thoughts on framing, normalization, CURIEs

On 08/31/2011 12:10 PM, Danny Ayers wrote:
> [21:12]<dlongley>  the same graph can be represented in many different
> ways in JSON-LD
>
> Yup, which is confusing and makes it much harder to code against.

> If JSON-LD isn't recognisable as idiomatic JSON, it'll fail for the same reason.

Actually, this feature is a large part of what makes JSON-LD
recognizable as idiomatic JSON.

JSON developers are used to working with structures that aren't
represented in a graph model. One reason why JSON is so easy to use is
because you work with your data in a natural object-oriented fashion.
You rely on structure to find and access your data instead of cumbersome
APIs. We don't want to force JSON developers to abandon whatever
structures they have decided are the most appropriate for their
applications.

JSON-LD allows them to preserve their structures while providing them
with the means (@context) to transform their existing data into Linked
Data. JSON-LD framing allows JSON developers to restructure incoming
graph-based data (from RDFa, JSON-LD, etc.) according to the specific
structures their application uses. Framing makes writing JSON-based code
easy and as natural as it was before; few to no modifications need to be
made to existing applications or general coding practices.

--
Dave Longley
CTO