Re: Thoughts on framing, normalization, CURIEs

On 31 August 2011 18:16, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
> On 31 August 2011 18:10, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [21:12] <manu> Not dealing with normalization is a mistake that RDF
>> serializations have been making for years...
>>
>> Right, RDF/XML has so many different possible serializations that it's
>> impractical to use standard XML processing tools (XPath, XSLT, XQuery
>> etc) on it. Which kind of defeats the object of having it in XML in
>> the first place.
>
>> There have been a few 'normalized RDF/XML' proposal, and a few people
>> have used them locally - but they've never really caught on, probably
>> because they do demand a normalization step.
>
> Or because similar graphs normalise differently? Picking the 'top'
> node, and deciding when to use refs vs inline sub-elements, isn't
> trivial.

well, there is the
<rdf:Description rdf:about="#subject> <property rdf:resource="#object" />

style as well

> Really, a lot of very smart XML experts have looked deeply at RDF over
> the years. If it was so easy, ... such an elementary mistake, ...
> wouldn't someone have got this right, and proposed a better,
> normalised RDF-in-XML?
>
> The fact that such a mechanism hasn't emerged in 14 years, suggests to
> me that the goal might not be coherent or achievable.

That is a distinct possibility. In effect we have a whole parallel
graph-oriented stack alongside the tree-oriented XML stack.

But what are the implications for JSON-LD - maps seem the most common
idiom in JSON, do they demand yet another stack?!

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://dannyayers.com