Re: Can JSON-LD cater for Talis' RDF/JSON design goals?

On 26 Aug 2011, at 10:32, Thomas Steiner wrote:
>> This gives me hope that there could be a way forward to produce only a
>> single JSON spec.
>
> I think this is the most important part of your email :-) Me too, I
> strongly believe in the fact that both needs (RDF geek's, Web
> developer's) can be addressed by one spec.

The way to do this might be to define in the spec some sort of “RDF geek compatibility context” that could be used by anyone who wants a very regular and direct representation of RDF triples in JSON-LD. For example, my SPARQL store could use that context when serializing a CONSTRUCT result to JSON-LD.

I'd expect to be able to do something like this with the resulting JSON-LD:

  my_jsonld_data = …    // load JSON-LD file
  subject = "http://data.example.com/people/123";
  predicate = "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name";
  object = my_jsonld_data[subject][predicate][0];
  alert(object.string); // "Bob"

If that would be possible, then I'd consider JSON-LD as addressing the use cases that motivate RDF/JSON [1].

Best,
Richard

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-JSON-UC#Use_JSON_syntax_to_interact_with_a_SPARQL_store_.28or_other_RDF_backend.29