Re: dropped Basic spec?

On 08/08/11 15:05, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 8/8/11 1:19 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>> Regarding complexity, we need to consider the audience. I think that
>> JSON-LD implementations will pretty much need to implement most of the
>> spec (although normalization, expansion, and framing could be
>> considered to be optional bits by an implementation, IMO). I think the
>> basic spec was really targeted at publishers, to give them an easy way
>> into it.
>
> Yes.

What Gregg said.

The only thing I'd add is that we will probably want to create a really
high-level introduction to JSON-LD. Basically, showing people how they
can use pre-created JSON-LD contexts to mark up people, places, events,
recipes, etc. This document shouldn't take spec-form, but should rather
be written as one or more "Beginner's Guide" articles.

The problem with the Basic spec is that I conflated what Kingsley, Glenn
and Brian wanted based on their e-mails to the mailing list. I thought
they wanted the roughly the same thing in the beginning, and that turned
out to be a completely false premise. The existence of the Basic spec
only serves to reinforce that false premise and take up precious
editorial cycles.

We do need to replace it with a series of Beginner's Guide articles. Any
volunteers willing to take a shot at writing some prose targeted at Web
developers already using JSON?

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarm Developer Tools and Demo Released
http://digitalbazaar.com/2011/05/05/payswarm-sandbox/