Re: Linked Data Platform - Next

I also work on Solid and have spent the last several years working with LDP.

As such, I would echo a lot of what Melvin wrote (with only minor
variations here and there). At a high level, the LDP specification has a
lot going for it, but there are also some significant pain points,
especially once you start adding authorization. I think it's fair to say
that LDP, by itself, is reasonably easy to implement and interact with --
if that's all you need, then you should be all set. It's when you begin
layering other, orthogonal specifications onto LDP that you encounter some
of these challenges.

It may also be worth noting that, though Solid has historically been built
on LDP, as the Solid specification moves toward 1.0, there is more of a
loosely-coupled relationship to LDP. The current draft
<https://solid.github.io/specification/> builds on (or is inspired by) a
lot of the concepts of LDP, especially containment relationships; yet, LDP
conformance is not -- strictly speaking -- required. In other words, one
can build a Solid-conforming system on top of an LDP server, but one can
also build a Solid-conforming system on top of a non-LDP server, so long as
it understands RDF and REST semantics.

Cheers,
Aaron