Re: Linked data Platform Containers / Collections Confusion

Hi, Brent,

What also might help is the following article I wrote called Introduction to: Linked Data Platform: http://www.dataversity.net/introduction-linked-data-platform/

I guess I do not fully understand what your questions mean yet (admittedly, I’m the biggest dunce in the LDP Working Group) - but I’ll try to help.

For one thing, you said (or quoted) the following:

"My impression is that things in a linked data platform container must have a particular pattern and that things in a linked data platform collection do not.”

By “linked data platform container”, I am presuming you mean a formal Linked Data Platform Basic, Direct, or Indirect Container. But I do not know where you get the term “linked data platform collection”. Did you see that written somewhere?

Now, in your later email you ask about containing arbitrary triples that exist on the Linked Open Data graph out there in the cloud.

It would help to have a specific use case, but I think regular old predicate links to those triples (properties) might make more sense.

I think of the LDPContainer as an access point defining a set of triples that are maintained by the container (which you likely wouldn’t have ownership for arbitrary triples on the cloud). In other words, they typically contain documents created by the container. By “document” or “LDP resource”, in this case, I mean a set of triples sharing the same subject. One of those triples could have a predicate whose object is your cloud triple. I think of that as a sort of “property” on the resource. It is the property that “links to” your cloud data (some arbitrary other triple).

If we have left you with an impression that we are not responsive, I appologize. I know that all of the folks involved with LDP are always very busy with their respective companies. My only hesitance in answering sooner is the fear that I may misunderstand your question or misguide you. Given that article introduction I suggested and my rough feedback, please clarify if necessary and I’ll try to help you find the answers you need. You can also contact me directly if you prefer; I’m easy to find.

---
Cody Burleson