Re: Social Web User Stories

Dear Linked Data community,

As I explained in yesterday’s LDP teleconf - sorry I was in a train and had
difficulty connecting ( literally and figuratively ) - the Social Web WG has

   • made the step of going with JSON-LD.
      This is huge. Ie. it is the first time ever I have heard the Web 2.0
      community since the RDF <-> XML wars of the begging of the millenium
      that such a compromise has been agreed to
  • agreed to use LinkedData principles
      Ie. the RESTafarians have understood that the Linked Data community are
      on their side.

They are now about to work on an API that can implement the use
cases ( user stories ) that are being discussed right now.

https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories

  So why talk to Linked Data folks about the Social Web? Well
There are a number of reasons all related to the fact that all
interactions on linked data have a social component:
 • actors need to have machine readable profiles ( if only for r/w access,
   and for tracability )
 • there is a social element to having rights to view or contribute to
   certain forms of data
 • one has to be able to comment on content and have a discussion
  on it ( say when data is erroneous or controversial )
 • one has to be notified if something changes ( comments are added,
   or data is changed )
 • one has to be able to create groups, add people to it, etc
   ( if only for giving those people access control rights )
 • one has notions such as following friends of friends ( foaf is in our genes :-)
 •  …

The Linked Data Platform WG have worked 3 years to provide the
groundwork for such an API which is in Last Call, and for which
the Basic Containers are probably the only subset needed.

 http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/

  So in short there is a potential here of getting Linked Data adopted in a
viral space: the Social Web. But for this we need a loose group of Linked
Data hackers who are willing to fight for the cause, by quickly implementing
Social Web use cases as they come up using Linked Data. This will allow
us to show that we have a large community to help out, and that these
things are not that difficult to do. ( Btw. we will need to assume near 0
reasoning at first to make the introduction to these concepts easy. ) It
is also a great opportunity to find out some key missing features in the
Linked Data space.

  If you are interested in joining  us here you can start by looking at the
Use Cases document to see if there are some use cases that we are
missing, that could be improved, etc…

I have myself added the following more distributed User Stories:

https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories#Proposed_co-operation_stories

If you wish to help out, please let Arnaud Le Hors and me know. For the User Stories,
it would help if you could get us some today, but I hope we can have a one week
extension.

In any case either next week or the week thereafter some of these use
cases will be voted on, with votes along the lines of:
  - +1, 0, -1 with reasons given for negative votes, and on positive notes
a statement of  willingness to implement.

All the best,

 Henry Story

Proposed co-operation stories

These stories illustrate how the Social Web goes beyond the usual Social Networking platforms and opens the way to co-operation between individuals from different organisations, or individuals using different Social Software Stacks, without requiring all the data to be stored centrally. These user stories make the distributed topology explicit.
Two CEOs Follow Each other[edit <https://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories&action=edit&section=18>]
James meets Carly at a golf club. They are both CEOs. They can think of some good synergies between their companies.
They exchange cards ( which contain their global identifiers tied to their Company Social Web Platform )
Carly as she is driven home after the event enters James' identifier into her Social Web UI and finds the public information about James, his company, and others in her network who know him.
Carly reads James' latest blog entries
She is confident she has the right information, follows him, and send him a hello message.
James the next day opens his Social Web Inbox. He finds Carly's message, the info on her public profile and the NASDAQ info about her company.
James follows Carly back.
From User:Bblfish <https://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Bblfish>.
Follow a neighbourhood group[edit <https://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories&action=edit&section=19>]
Joe and his family moves into a house and switches his Social Web Server running on a Freedom Box <http://freedomboxfoundation.org/>
Jack a neighbour, comes by and says hello. Joe gives him his card containing his global ID whose profile resides on his Freedom Box at home, excited at the prospect of discovering more about his neighbourhood.
Jack visits Joe's profile using the ID and adds Joe to the neighbourhood group, and sends Joe a hello message welcoming him to the group.
Joe receives the hello message the next day and visiting the group, gets to say a quick hello to his neighbours.
Joe discovers that there is a collective barbecue the next weekend and leaves himself time in the calendar to go there with his family.
After the barbecue Joe connects up virtually with those neighbours he found the most in common with.
The closer friend relations gives them more access to each others plans, allowing them for example to organise taking kids to school more easily
From User:Bblfish <https://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Bblfish>.
Co-operation between NGOs[edit <https://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories&action=edit&section=20>]
Three NGOs are working in different ways on the topic of Global Warming (GW). Members meet at a conference at which they decide to co-operate on their research
Each NGO adds the others NGOs GW group to their GW group.
The members of each NGO can now see content posted by the others to their servers and can comment on it, etc, as if they formed part of the same NGO
As they explore the topic they discover that their work is completed nicely with that work from a university and meteorological project with access to satellite data
They add those two groups to their GW group and can now co-operate with those players on specific topics too, gaining access to scientific reports and data from the University, and historical as well as currentl data from the satellite
From User:Bblfish <https://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Bblfish>
Product issue reports[edit <https://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories&action=edit&section=21>]
Each product a company makes has its own URL which can be read off the product. From that URL the user can find the history of the product, from creation to the present.
Only the current buyer and the company has access to that page
A user finds a problem with his product and goes to his Product page. There he can open a new bug report.
He can upload pictures of the problem, descriptions, and discuss with the Technical Support Staff
The Technical Support Staff or the User can add new people to the discussion, eg. technical experts, parts manufacturers, sales people, legal, etc...
New members can then contribute to the discussion bringing their expertise to bear.
From User:Bblfish <https://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Bblfish>

Proposed developer stories[edit <https://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories&action=edit&section=22>]

Developing a Smart client[edit <https://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories&action=edit&section=24>]
Conchita is an iOS and Android developer. She creates a native social client iFoaf that allows people to explore friends of friends networks across the world.
She developed a version for blind people, one for people with sight problems, and one very elegant version.
The application only consumes data published by the server and interacts using the Social Web API. This is what allows her to refine the UI needs for the particular groups of disabilities in question.
From User:Bblfish <https://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Bblfish>.
Using a Smart Client[edit <https://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories&action=edit&section=25>]
Jillian downloads iFoaf to her smart phone, starts the program, enters her identity, and authenticates herself to her home server. The client gets her profile data and initiates the application with data taken from her Social Web Server and her client
The Application asks Jillian if she wishes to add people found in the smart phone address book to one of her already published groups or a new one. Denise publishes them to a new group, to categorise later
As Jillian is an EFF advocate she travels a lot, and so do many of the people she is in contact with. So she often does not know what time it is for the person she wants to call. But she has convinced 50% of her friends to have their own home servers with Social Web compliant APIs.
Jillian uses iFoaf to call people.
If the person she wishes to call publishes her time zone info, Jillian can know if it is advisable to call them.
Jillian always gets the latest phone number people are using, and never has out of date phone numbers
As Jillian travels iFoaf can let her know what friends of hers happen to be in the same town. She can quickly message them to say hello.
Any messages Jillian sends travels over an encrypted channel directly to her friends computer, so Jillian knows that her messages are never read by anyone else than their intended recipients.
Jillian's server also allows traffic over Tor, to allow her to communicate with people in politically sensitive positions.
From User:Bblfish <https://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Bblfish>.

> On 7 Feb 2015, at 19:59, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> The Social Web Working group has been working on User Stories to help them later choose
> their protocol. I believe that all these user stories can be done with LDP ( plus some
> new ontologies of course, and WebID authentication and Web Access Control ).
>
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories
>
> Perhaps some of the LDP group folks have some extra ideas to add to these user stories?
>
> Henry
>
> Social Web Architect
> http://bblfish.net/

Social Web Architect