Re: Practical issues arising from the "null relative URIs"-hack - iContainers

On 3/31/14 12:56 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> In all three cases (GET, PUT, POST) they are relative to the resource
> being transmitted.   To me, that seems completely intuitive.
>
> Don't forget that POST as a way to put new content on the Web works
> for more than just RDF content.  It also works for HTML, CSS,
> Javascript, SVG, PNG, JPEG, PDF, etc, etc, etc.    Nearly all of those
> formats include links.    In some formats, like HTML and SVG, they
> often contain relative links to other parts of the document.   That
> works perfectly with the current design, without the server having to
> touch a single byte.

Each of the languages you've listed (modulo RDF) has a single notation.
The problem with RDF is that it has multiple notations (or so called
concrete syntaxes). Thus, when you use HTML, CSS, SVG etc.. as examples,
the confusion is (inadvertently) compounded.

LDP is really based on Turtle Notation. Thus, we will make more progress
accepting this and looking to the spec for clarify issues such as
relative URIs etc..

Simple solution: make it clear that LDP is based on Turtle Notation.
There are pros and cons to this approach (naturally), but being clear
ultimately reduces confusion. Inferring that LDP is based on RDF, in
this context, without the suggested clarification re., notation
specificity, is just another case of RDF conflation (abstract and
concrete syntaxes) and inevitable confusion.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO