Re: Fwd: Re: Can we use TCP backpressure instead of paging?

On 06/11/2014 02:41 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

> Simple principles that seems reasonable, using existing infrastructure.
>
> However it would come at a large cost for the server to maintain a
> large number of open TCP sockets. Paging has the advantage of allowing
> a series of smaller, independent requests for different subsets of the
> resource

You seem to have any idea what paging is going to be used for.   I'm at
a disadvantage, since I don't.   (Seriously.)  What use cases do you see
for paging?   In particular, what use is reverse paging, and why might a
client want to page slowly?

> (and as we've discussed at the cost of ambiguous results on collection
> modifications),

Actually, I see now that ambiguity is there with or without paging.    A
naive server could be serving a normal GET on an LDP container when a
PATCH, PUT, or POST comes in and changes what triples are in the
container.  Does that change get reflected in the remaining parts of the
GET?  Maybe "No", but that's a fairly expensive answer.

> and so could be served by multiple backend servers (including caches
> and proxies) without the client noticing.

Again, I'm needing a use case where that would be useful.

> A TCP stream would also fall apart as a mobile client moves from 3G to
> WiFi, with no good way to "continue". (Or would you combine this with
> byte level HTTP ranges?)

Switching networks is a problem for everyone, and I suppose HTTP Range
is the way folks handle it, if they're going to at all, so why should we
be any different?

Skimming http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7233 "Hypertext Transfer Protocol
(HTTP/1.1): Range Requests" hot off the presses...

There's a lot to be said for using Range Requests instead of paging,
too, even if it's just byte ranges.

> In fact, this technique is now used for streaming video, by basically
> having a playlist of a series of static, smaller video snippets which
> are distributed on Content Delivery Networks using regular HTTP GET
> (and so can be cached, proxied, etc) and joined together in the client.
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-DASH

Yeah, but in that case, the user really wants to skip around.   I see
zero value in skipping around in a randomly ordered set of triples.
There's some value in skipping around when the set is ordered, but I
think the current ordering support is so weak as to be not worth
implementing.   (In particular, it can only be determined by the server.)

> If you were to take this analogy into LDP, then one could request for
> a paging content type, and get back a list of IRIs for pages which can
> then be requested at the client's pace and choice.

Funny how much that sounds like an LDP container.   We have paging
because THAT LIST might be very big.

> If a server insists on paging (collection is massive), but the client
> can't Accept it, then it is a simple case of HTTP 406 Not Acceptable,
> which should be more reasonable then giving only half the collection,
> without the client understanding that there is paging.

My sense of the world is that if clients will break when the server uses
a new protocol, and anyone important uses a client, then the server will
never get away with adopting a new protocol. Extensibility in
decentralized systems like the Web requires graceful fallback when the
other party doesn't implement the new feature.

         -- Sandro