Re: Multiple Named Graph

On 3/31/14 6:40 PM, Nandana Mihindukulasooriya wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:26 AM, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org
> <mailto:sandro@w3.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/26/2014 05:32 PM, Reto Gmür wrote:
>>     LDP defines (implicitly somewhere) a relationship between the
>>     graph name and the graph (the graph describes the resource
>>     identified by graph name) and allows returning the dataset
>>     instead of the graph.
>
>     Yeah, that's hinted at by the example.   I'm starting to think we
>     should take out all mention of named graphs and leave that for a
>     future spec that defines a mechanism by which clients can ask
>     servers to give them a dataset (eg a BasicContainer and all its
>     members as named graphs).
>

> Probably that is a good move I think. IIRC, we introduced named graph
> concept to clarify this special case where the containers embed its
> members and not to loose the provenance of the triples that are coming
> from members which are not part of the container state. However,
> apparently it has led to more confusion than clarity.
>
> Best Regards,
> Nandana

Yes.

Please note, there is nothing about data provenance (metadata) that
mandates quads. You can describe RDF statements using RDF statements too
[1].

If I create an RDF document that's denoted by an HTTP URL, nothing stops
me making RDF statements about the document in question. If I want to
actually describe statements that comprise my document, I can do that
too by denoting each statement with its own URI.

[1]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F1999%2F02%2F22-rdf-syntax-ns%23Statement&graph=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F1999%2F02%2F22-rdf-syntax-ns%23
- RDF Statement Description

[2] http://bit.ly/1eUSMl2 -- example of reification applied to the
massive Uniprot datasets from our LOD Cloud Cache (live 50 Billion RDF
triples instance -- which is all about demonstrating that triples count
isn't a reason to discount existing RDF statement reification capabilities)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO